Thursday, January 28, 2016

My Presentation at the National Title I Conference Takes Place Today

Today’s the day! I’m in Houston and getting ready to present at the 2016 National Title I Conference, “Frontiers of Opportunity,” which gets underway today and continues through Jan. 31 at the George R. Brown Convention Center. This afternoon, from 1-2 p.m. in Room 362, I’ll be making a high-energy presentation on the subject of  "Improving Instruction through the Mind, Brain, and Teacher Leadership Model.”

In this presentation, which is taken from five of Marcus Conyers' and my recently published books on the science of learning, brain-based teaching and teacher leadership, I will be sharing our model/framework of mind, brain, and teacher leadership applied in classrooms and schools. The focus will be on science and strategies that work for real teachers in classrooms across the U.S. Attendees will also hear stories of teacher leaders, my heroes, who are making a positive difference in schools and classrooms each day.

Following the presentation, from 2:30-3:30, I will be doing a book signing in the Title I bookstore.

Over the past two decades, Marcus and I have shared our work with more than 10,000 K-12 students and 160,000 educators in live events, honing our teaching with input from teacher leaders. Many times our participants have been from Title I schools and districts in states including Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Montana, Alabama, North Dakota, North Carolina, Mississippi, Colorado, Maryland, Georgia, Washington, Florida, and many more. Educators have also studied the curriculum we co-developed to earn graduate degrees in practical applications of mind, brain, and education research over the past 15 years.

Now school systems have an incredible opportunity to align instruction with our body of work and, in so doing, to inspire virtually all students to develop higher-order thinking skills necessary to be college- and career-ready in the 21st century. Using the Conyers and Wilson frameworks and strategies teachers have found to be effective, teacher leaders and administrators are able to work together in a process we call purposeful collaboration to scale up the “science of learning” from theory to practice in school systems across the states and world.

If you’re in Houston for the Title I Conference, I hope to see you at my presentation. In addition to including the stories of teacher leaders who have learned with us, I will share inspiring examples of education systems that incorporate principles of teacher leadership and purposeful collaboration. Click the link to go to my Title I website page.

No comments:

Post a Comment